Protecting LGBTQIA+ Rights
The LGBTQIA+ community is under attack. Despite recent forward progress for marriage rights, violent attacks on transgender women (especially transgender women of color), stripping of protections by the current administration, lack of legal defense protect the community after negative court rulings, and long-standing historical inequities continue.
We must end acceptance of a culture that considers their humanity invalid. They are our brothers, sisters, and siblings. They should be able to attend school without fear of bullying, have the freedom to exist as their true selves, and not suffer government, corporate, or private oppression.
The United States should take the lead on the international stage for the liberation of LGBTQIA+ people around the world.
I will fight for:
- The Equality Act, the PRIDE Act, the Every Child Deserves a Family Act, and other bills to prohibit discrimination by the United States, any state & local government and private industry
- Legislation to develop and implement LGBTQIA+ inclusive public education and to combat bullying
- Legislation to prohibit "conversion therapy", a harmful practice which attempts to change orientation and identity
- Legislation to end the use of mandated gender-markers in identification documents, to accommodate our intersex and non-binary siblings
- Both the original Equal Rights Amendment, as well as the Amendment for Constitutional Equality, which adds a more inclusive set of protections in the US Constitution for marginalized groups
- Prohibiting insurance companies from declaring trans affirming procedures as “not medically necessary” or “cosmetic” until corporate insurance has been replaced by a trans inclusive Medicare for All program
- Legislation prohibiting mutilative surgeries on intersex infants
- Legislation mandating that police adopt policies to ensure fairer interactions with transgender people, especially transgender women of color who are often targeted in an unfair fashion, and mandate training programs to promote compliance with the new policy
- Ending “gay panic” and “trans panic” defenses in violent crimes
- Stopping any legislation or policy that purports to “protect” religious liberty at the expense of the rights of others