An Economy That Works for All
As a Democratic Socialist, I believe that all people deserve a full and dignified life, and no one should be too poor to live.
I believe we need an economy that provides economic security for all. Right now, tens of millions are struggling because wages have not kept pace with the rising cost of living. The top 1 percent have seen their wealth increase by trillions while most Americans have seen stagnant wages, while essentials such as housing, food, and education have seen their costs rise by hundreds of percent.
It's time to demand better.
I will fight for:
- A Workplace Democracy Act to make it easier to form unions with such reforms as card-check and require companies to negotiate a fair first contract
- Passing the RUN Act, providing training and administrative resources for new unionization efforts, subsidizing union dues 100%, extend federal unemployment benefits to striking workers, guaranteeing the right for all public employees to collectively bargain, require all businesses above 20 employees a quarterly vote on unionization, and require all businesses below 20 employees to pay them no less than 2/3rds of total profits in bonuses and dividends
- Repealing the Taft-Hartley Act and ending "right to work for less"
- Expanding the right to form a union to include domestic, agricultural and so-called "gig" workers
- A jobs guarantee to end unemployment
- A $20 minimum wage, indexed to cost inflation and productivity growth, whichever is higher
- Strengthening Social Security by removing the the artificial cap on the Social Security tax and having the wealthy pay the same rate as everyone else, lowering the full retirement age to 62, and significantly expanding benefits
- Creating a National Solidarity Fund, funded by a 1 cent per worker-hour tax, paying stipends to workers who are striking or locked out
- Worker representation on corporate boards (co-determination)
- Sectoral union organization
- Utilize civil asset forfeiture against all companies guilty of violating worker's right to unionize and other workplace protections, and transfer full ownership of the offending company to the workers of that company.
- Allowing 1 year of parental leave for all parents, 3 weeks of paid sick leave, and 8 weeks of paid vacation per year
- The end of "at will" termination by requiring just cause to terminate employment
- A tax system where the super rich and corporations pay their fair share and working class people see relief from our regressive tax system
- Implementation of public postal banking
- Cap interest rates at 15 percent
- Guaranteeing necessities of life and basic human rights for all including food, water, healthcare, housing, education, and a livable environment