A Green New Deal and a Livable Environment for All
The climate crisis poses an existential threat to humanity. In October 2018, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change warned we had 12 years left to reduce carbon emissions enough to avoid “catastrophic warming”.
Now we have only nine.
Without unprecedented action, according to climate scientists, we will cross a tipping point where the effects of climate change become irreversible and we face the prospect of catastrophic consequences that will endanger human life on this planet. The time for action was yesterday; we must act boldly to center people and planet over profit.
Time is running out. Time for a Green New Deal.
I will fight for:
- The Build Green Infrastructure and Jobs Act to electrify the nation's public transportation systems.
- The Green New Deal for Cities to ensure city water systems free from lead and other toxic contaminants.
- 100% renewable energy for transportation and electricity by 2030, and achieving total de-carbonization by no later than 2050.
- Connecting the coasts through low pollution high speed rail to lower reliance on air travel.
- Healing and restoring our environment through fully funding the EPA and superfund site cleanup.
- Guaranteeing economic security for all via a jobs guarantee to build the new green economy.
- Redesigning our food production infrastructure so poison-free food is the affordable norm, not the expensive outlier.
- Mandating the elimination of of harmful pesticides, herbicides, and fertilizers, and mitigation of animal waste in order to clean our waterways and restore healthy water ecosystems.
- Guaranteeing green housing for all.
- Phasing out the use of fossil fuels and creating a publicly-owned renewable energy system.
- Fare-free nationwide public transportation.
- Helping bring about a global Green New Deal by supporting the UN's efforts to build collaborative and respectful relationships with the Global South..