Our state, and indeed our entire country, is facing down the horror of the coronavirus pandemic. We are now in a full-blown Great Depression, with an expected 32 percent unemployment rate by summer. We must immediately act to stop the pandemic, and the effects of it on our economy, now!
Our campaign will be advocating for:
- Immediately forbid all export of Personal Protective Equipment of All kinds, and immediate seizure of stockpiles held by corporations, who have been "donating" to hospitals.
- Immediately use the Defense Production Act or a new act of Congress to mandate that the Secretary of Health and Human Services or the Director of the CDC order companies to immediately produce ventilators and personal protective equipment, with the workers paid directly by the United States government during the duration of the crisis. Non-compliance will result in immediate seizure of all assets of the corporation pertinent to the manufacturing of said equipment, and the United States government will own the corporation as a publicly chartered corporation, to ramp up the domestic manufacture needed to protect our country and our citizens.
- Immediate acquirement of all private hospitals (such as St. Joseph Medical Center, Providence, and Swedish) to immediate public ownership.
- Immediate housing of all homeless people in hotels, to allow homeless persons to be clean and self-isolate.
- All people terminated by employers due to the economic depression shall be immediately reinstated to the same position, at the same rate of pay, or an appropriate equivalent, to said corporations once the pandemic is over, and the United States government shall guarantee their wages for a period of time as our reconfigured economy is ramping up again.
- Building up our national stockpile for pandemic preparedness, so that when this happens again, we will not have a shortage of PPE.
- $1000 every 2 weeks for every person in this country.
- A suspension of all periodic and utility payments for a minimum of 26 weeks, to be extended if the pandemic continues. This should include credit card debt, other forms of consumer debt, student debt, mortgage debt, lease and rental payments, utility bill payments (power, water, etc.), small business debt, and all other forms of short-to-medium term debt that would be adversely effected by this pandemic.
- Suspension of all foreclosures, evictions, and other like penalties, with no acceleration of payments to "make up for lost time". The current eviction and foreclosure bans that have been passed in this state all mandate one pay by the end of the term every month "lost".
- Mandate that the Federal Reserve open it's discount window to small businesses, with an indefinite rollover until the crisis is over. People should not lose their favorite eateries and cultural centers because of this pandemic.
- 100 percent free at the point of service health coverage throughout the pandemic emergency, for ALL illnesses and injuries, not just coronavirus.
- A $6000 death benefit so that people who pass away will not have their family financially punished for something they cannot control and should not be expected to fundraise for a funeral on GoFundMe.